A couple of days ago I wrote about my work wardrobe issues (specifically how I would like to look not quite so broke down on a daily basis).
My beautiful tumblr friends came to my rescue and provided some great tips (a thousand thanks to each of you).
Check out Nadia’s comprehensive tips for a totally put-together workday look.
My notes on good workwear:
- Accessories: I use the same accessories over and over but a good resource for costume jewelry is Forever 21 or the New York & Company sales. Good prices for a quick change to a wardrobe.
- Basics: I like getting simple basics from Express & Zara (cheaper and easy to settle the basics there). Express isn’t super cheap, but their box sales are and ordering online gets you an extra 20% off sometimes. Zara is GREAT for work basics; I love their $29 pencil skirts and $39 slacks! I say always buy one fabulous work skirt (mine is BCBG) and one fabulous slacks (i have b&w houndstooth slacks I love from Express)
- Colors: I like to grab super colorful or trendy items (like bright orange tees) from Forever21 because they are VERY cheap ($4.80) and you don’t feel badly about the trendiness taking up too much money.
- Dresses: I get my dresses from Gilt sales and Express box sales. They’re greatquality, durable, cheap, and the color lasts through the washes. You can get great designer dresses from Gilt during sales (I got a few Ali Ro dresses and love them).
- Purses: I like the sales on Aldo accessories because their purses are fairly durable and cheap. Banana Republic used to carry some AMAZING high quality purses, but now I just hit up designer outlets for the silk & satin variety. BCBG is a constant.
- Sweaters: I love the ones from Banana Republic. For quality & lasting, they have not been beat so far.
- Shirts: Victoria Secret sales is where I get the nicer shirts. I get blouses from Express. I like that Express blouses are a BIT longer so do not come untucked as often, and VS has bodysuits you can wear if untucking is a serious issue.
- Shoes: Nordstrom or couture sales. I maintain that even though I do not have to walk that much at work, I want my shoes to be of quality and be comfortable. I am partial to Dolce Vita (they have great sales on this brand), BCBG and L.A.M.B., and Nordstrom will beat any advertised price by $1 so it helps to find good deals.
Favorite work outfit:
- black BCBG satin skirt
- white Express blouse
- BCBGirls boots
THE essentials to have:
- white button down
- black skirt
- grey slacks
- black pumps
emphasisadded: I have a problem: My work clothes are busted.
My office wardrobe is largely a product of my days as a consultant and given the fact that my current job is much less conservative and my current body is somewhat less big, my professional attire staples are just not working for me any longer.
I would love nothing more than to be that girl that looks SUPER put together (and remarkably feminine) every day at the office…You know, that employee who’s blouses are always perfectly crisp, wrap dresses are appropriately snug and high heels are exactly high enough to look pretty while kicking ass. Unfortunately right now I bust a sag in every pair of pants I own and my shirts have a tendency to untuck themselves. Classy, right?
I am willing to put in the effort and money to make my professional-chic dreams come true, but I am a little overwhelmed about exactly where to start. So I turn to you:
Where do you beautiful people get your work clothes (skirts? dresses? trousers?)
What is your favorite work outfit?
What are the essential pieces every professional wardrobe needs.
Any help/suggestion/pics would be greatly appreciated!!! I will compile any/all suggestions you guys send in and share my finding with everyone!